Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Born gay, born a sinner

 
There has been a lot of debate between the church and the pro-gay side on whether people are born gay or not. The church seems to be afraid if they agree that people can be born gay, they will have to concede that God isn't fair, and the pro-gay side seems to want to use it to their advantage that if we are born gay, then God wouldn't expect us to be anything but gay.

 I read some things lately that have made me wonder if it really matters. I personally don't believe I was born gay, though I do believe some, including myself, may have been born with a predisposition to being gay, and circumstances in life may swing a person one way or the other.

  But does it matter? As someone pointed out recently, we are all born sinners, thanks to Adam and Eve. So even if we can be born gay, we are all born sinners anyway, and just as no one else has the right to give into a sin they are tempted with just because they were born a sinner, a person who may have been born gay does not have a special right to give into the sin he is tempted with because he may have been born gay.

  I was reading the other day somewhere that maybe the church should quit fighting the "born gay" idea so much, for if there is a gay gene found some day, then the church will have egg all over their face, and look like idiots, and if that is one of our foundational arguments against homosexuality, then what will we do if that argument is destroyed by the discovery of a gay gene?

  And that isn't to say that one exists. I am saying our argument needs to be based on more than whether people are born gay or not. Even if they are, that doesn't make it right. That doesn't make it OK to give into it and ignore what God said in His Word.



  I have mentioned Nick Vujicic before on my blog. He is a hero to me and someone I admire. This young man was born with no arms or legs, just a foot. He has gone on to do some amazing things like surfing, swimming, marriage, and fatherhood. The sky seems the limit for him. He goes all over the world speaking and loves God.

  How he was born was not normal, and is sad, but he didn't accept it. He went on to live as if he had all of his limbs.

  It may seem a stretch to compare him to being born gay, but neither is normal. Neither should just be accepted and not fought. He inspires me to overcome what I have been dealt, and if I had to choose, I would choose same sex attraction over what he has been dealt. My prayer is that as God is using him because of what he has been dealt, He might use me because of what I have been dealt. So much less compared to Nick, but a hardship and trial nevertheless.

 We are all born sinners. God doesn't extend special rights to some who may have been born gay to embrace their sin and not overcome it. We are all to flee sin and live as God wants us too. Even we people who deal with same-sex attractions.


No comments: