Friday, August 31, 2012

Unemployed

Today I joined the ranks of the unemployed. I didn't get fired or laid off. My place of employment didn't close. I quit. On the spot. It was one of those "straws that broke the camel's back" moments.

I've been wanting to quit for months, and lately I have had this strong feeling that I should quit, to give my 2 week notice. I am not where I need to be with God, so I hesitate to say it was Him, but it sure seemed like it was coming from Him. This was more than my desire to quit. This was an urge from inside me somewhere that I should do it.

As I mentioned in a previous blog post, I have been praying and reading my Bible lately, something I had not been doing for at least two years. Those prayers revolve around asking God to help me believe that He loves me, helping me to find Him, to learn more about what He is really like instead of the mean judgemental God I have tried to serve, and work. I have been praying that He would help me find something better. Something where I didn't have to work Sundays. Then came this weird urging to give my notice. I went so far as to ask God to show me somehow if I should do so. Maybe today was an answer to that prayer? I don't know. I wouldn't imagine God would want me to quit on the spot, but the events of today, and even yesterday, seemed to give me the push I needed. And in hindsight, I wish I had given a 2 week notice a few weeks ago. But I do not feel regretful.

I do have worries. I have enough in my savings that I could go a few months without work and pay the few bills that I have, plus I do have another paycheck coming. But life isn't as certain when you don't have a job to go to.

I am hoping this gives me the push I need to job search harder. When I have a job and want a new one, I don't look as hard as I need to look. However, when I don't have a job, I look harder for a one.

This opens a new chapter in my life. And I needed a new chapter. Whether you know me or not, I ask that you'd keep me in your prayers. That I find God in the way I need, and that I find the right job, one where I am not forced to work on Sundays. Thank-you if you do.

No comments: