Thursday, April 4, 2013

Too focused on the gay

   I've had this thought before, and decided to try to put it into words on here. I believe that people who are gay/dealing with same-sex attractions are guilty of the same thing, whether it be someone who is all in to being gay, or someone who is fighting it. They become too focused on the gay.

  For the person not fighting it, all too many jump on every gay cause there is. There is a gay agenda and a gay cause. As it has been said, what people do in the bedroom is their own business, but all too many gay people don't want to keep it there. It becomes what and who they are, their life revolves around the fact that they are gay, so they march in parades, they fight to get special rights, they try to indoctrinate kids as young as Kindergarten that it is OK and to explore their sexuality. Nothing else matters, just being gay, and gay causes. The heterosexual doesn't do that. Their life doesn't revolve around the fact that they are straight.... but the gay person does. Life is so much more than your sexuality.

   And we people who fight it and don't want to be gay do the same thing. We focus 24/7 on not being gay, on how to fight it, on how we wish we were normal. And don't get me wrong, we do need to fight it. It is a struggle that is harder than anyone can imagine if you never dealt with it..... but I fear we get so focused on the gay issue in our life that we get lost in it. Our aim in life should be to serve God and be more like Jesus. It has been said that the opposite of homosexuality is not heterosexuality, it is holiness. And I think that is correct. If we would spend more time trying to be holy, as God is holy, of loving God with all our heart, we might get somewhere faster. Oh, the gay struggle will be there, may always be there, but I can't help but believe that if we focused as much on becoming more like Jesus and on being holy, the sexual struggle would be easier. And it goes for any struggle/sin/temptation. If the devil can get us to focus on the problem, to see how big the mountain is, the battle will be harder. We will spin our wheels.

   Unfortunately for me, the gay issue is just part of the problem for me. My views of God and how He feels about me are so messed up that they make the sexual struggles worse. I'm not sure I want to be like Him, and it seems He lets me fall on my face, watches me go down for the last time instead of throwing me the life saver......I've wondered what it would be like if I could have the right relationship with God that I need. One where I loved Him and believed that He loved me. I do think it would make the struggle easier. It would make it easier to say no to temptation.

   And it can apply to any issue we face. The more we focus on the issue or struggle, the bigger it gets, and we can make it bigger than God.

   Being gay isn't what or who someone is. That is just part of them. And we would do well to remember that whether we embrace it, or fight it.

No comments: