Saturday, December 7, 2013

Assurances from Scrooge

  
I have always loved the Christmas Carol Play, or as it is sometimes  called, "The Scrooge Play". It plays every other year or so at a small theater near me, and although the theater is small, they always put on a great performance. I went last night, and as usual, it was a great performance.

  I have been praying and asking God the last few days to help me know I am saved. Ever since I was a teenager, that was another struggle I have had. I go by feelings and emotion too much, and being a Christian isn't always emotional, nor does one feel like a Christian 24/7. Its another area I have been working on, but I still wanted to know I am saved. It may sound weird, but God seems to have used The Christmas Carol Play to do that.

  I always enjoy the play, but it was more than usual last night. My whole group, my family and another family from church, about 13 of us in all, seemed to be more into it than the rest of the audience. We laughed more and harder, and at the end of the show I was on my feet for a standing ovation, joined by the rest of my gang and a very few other people..... I guess it wasn't a good crowd.

  I don't ever remember crying during the play, as many times as I have seen it, but I did last night. The first time was when Marley's ghost visited Scrooge. The whole scene with the chains, and the warning to Scrooge about forging his own chain, got to me like it never has. I didn't hear any such words, but it was like God leaned down and told me that the chains I had worn were gone. Its hard to put into words how that scene with the chains affected me, but I found myself crying and felt an assurance inside of me that yes, I am saved, God has forgiven me and taken up residence in my heart.



  There were other emotional places in the play for me. There was the usual sad moment when the future Tiny Tim is dead, and the emotions stirred when Scrooge wakes on Christmas morning a changed person. I found myself crying again, and felt that assurance again that God has forgiven me and I am His.

  The Christmas Carol story/play does have a great message. Although there is no scene with Scrooge praying, the message is still there that redemption is possible for even a miserable man like him, and change is possible.

  And God can use a simple play like that to assure a guy like me that he is redeemed and forgiven.

No comments: